Plastics are used in a great variety of industries and it is hard to find one these days that doesn't use at least one product with plastic in its design in some way. One industry that has a heavy reliance on plastic products is the medical industry - health care would not exist as it does today without them. Plastic products are ideally suited for hospitals and medical procedures due to their durability which allows them to be frequently sterilised and resist harsh chemical environments.
Increased Life Expectancy:
In recent years, as the quality of medical care has improved, people are living longer than they were in the past:
- Currently, 23% of the population in the UK is over 60 years old.
- The life expectancy of men in the UK in 1993 was 74 years; in 2013 it is now 80 years.
- The life expectancy of women in the UK in 1993 was 79 years; in 2013 it is now 84 years.
- The UK is ranked 28th in the world for its overall life expectancy.
Increased life expectancy means that age-related ailments and injuries are likely to increase too, which in turn puts more pressure on the medical industry now and into the future. This means that medical facilities will need to ensure that they are as well-equipped as possible to cope with an increased amount of patients and guarantee they receive the best treatment possible. However, higher life expectancy ensures that the quality of health-care naturally improves
to keep the figure high and improve it even further.
"We are reaching old age with less accumulative damage than previous generations. We are less damaged."
- Professor Tom Kirkwood
, Institute of Ageing and Health and Newcastle University
As the quality of health-care increases, so too will the research into the most effective and practical uses of plastics. Coda Plastics are currently working with a number of medical clients to help them develop their products which are used in hospitals all over the world. Our work with these clients helps to ensure that hospitals can trust they are using products which have been created using medically approved materials
and state of the art processing techniques
The full service that we offer different includes the following stages:
If you would like to contact us regarding any medical product design or production needs you may have, then feel free to contact us on +44(0) 1692 501020 or send an email to email@example.com.
- Design: We work with our client's internal design team throughout all stages of the design process, assisting them in designing and developing innovative medical products and solutions.
- Device Development: Our device design and development team work with the client to understand the technical and commercial requirements of the product. We use 3D CAD and rapid prototyping to ensure a swift service.
- Manufacture: The manufacture of the final product is done either manually or fully automated as needed. We also offer offsite sterilisation if required to make sure the products are safe to use upon arrival.